When I was alone living in my car I remember writing the quotes below over and over until they became ingrained in me. I wanted them to become unconscious habits. I’m pretty sure they’ll help you too. If you could use my help as a coach let me know. I’d be happy to try to work something out to help you wherever you are in life.
- It is not what happens to you, but how you respond to what happens to you. Count your blessings while others are adding up their troubles.
- Look for something positive about this moment. Even if you have to look a little harder than usual, it still exists.
- When you smile about the life you live, you end up living a life worth smiling about. Read more
- Remember, social comparison is the thief of happiness. You could spend a lifetime worrying about what others have, but it wouldn’t get you anything.
- Happiness comes more easily when you feel good about yourself without feeling the need for anyone else’s approval.
- Be nice to people on your way up because you might meet them again on your way back down. Read more
- Set an example. Treat everyone with kindness and respect, even those who are rude to you – not because they are nice, but because you are. Read more
- Kindness is not to be mistaken for weakness, nor forgiveness for acceptance. It’s about knowing resentment of any kind is not on the path to happiness.
- Give as much as you can, but don’t allow yourself to be used. Listen to others closely, but don’t lose your own voice.
- Say what you need to say. Speak your truth. There is no greater sadness than holding on to the words you never had the courage to speak.
- You can’t change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react and who you choose to be around.
Adapted from 50 Happiness Quotes to Change the Way You Think.