Putting things off is a self-defeating behavior. We have convinced our self of the inferiority of our own abilities. We minimize our capabilities while maximizing those of others.
Ask yourself what is the worst thing that could happen if I followed through right now?
Overcome the anxiety associated with the act by beginning now. Theodore Roosevelt’s mother and wife died the same. As you can imagine he was dearly depressed. During this time he left the New York State Assembly for North Dakota.
As you encounter moments of self-doubt, which procrastination is, remember these words by Roosevelt.”When I did the thing I feared the fear disappeared.”
“It is only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth – and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up – that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had.” Elizabeth Kubler-Ross
There are many ways to avoid success in life, but the most sure-fire just might be procrastination. Procrastinators sabotage themselves. They put obstacles in their own path. They actually choose paths that hurt their performance.
Why would people do that? Neither one is a procrastinator, and both answered my many questions immediately.
- “Procrastination is suicide on the installment plan.” Author Unknown
- Procrastination is not a problem of time management or of planning. Procrastinators are not different in their ability to estimate time, although they are more optimistic than others. “Telling someone who procrastinates to buy a weekly planner is like telling someone with chronic depression to just cheer up,” insists Dr. Ferrari. Read More
- Procrastinators are made not born. Procrastination is learned in the family milieu, but not directly. It is one response to an authoritarian parenting style. Having a harsh, controlling father keeps children from developing the ability to regulate themselves, from internalizing their own intentions and then learning to act on them.
- “The really happy people are those who have broken the chains of procrastination, those who find satisfaction in doing the job at hand. They’re full of eagerness, zest, productivity. You can be, too.”Norman Vincent Peale
- There’s more than one flavor of procrastination. People procrastinate for different reasons. Dr. Ferrari identifies three basic types ofprocrastinators:
- arousal types, or thrill-seekers, who wait to the last minute for the euphoric rush.
- avoiders, who may be avoiding fear of failure or even fear of success, but in either case are very concerned with what others think of them; they would rather have others think they lack effort than ability.
Adapted from psychologytoday.com
If you aren’t seeing results it makes sense to get help
Jim Woods is committed to providing world-class, leading edge services and products which empower individuals and organizations to fulfill their destiny. He is a life coach, self-help author and motivational speaker. Jim is president of Jim Woods Group a human resources and leadership management consulting firm. He has an absolute passion for people development and are constantly refining and adapting his programs in order to ensure that they have the maximum impact on those we serve. Click here to work with Jim.